I'm Technical Director of, a company developing , an open source . My full bio is available on .
I'm really interested in anything that can make computer development a better "science", i.e. that helps the software engineering discipline. As a consequence, I've been researching and participating in the following areas over the past few years:
- Development methodologies and especially applying agile methodologies in the field.
- Tools / frameworks, especially in the domain of Builds, Tests and generally quality control.
- Making collaboration easy even from a distance.
- published by Manning in 2003
- published by O'Reilly in 2005
- published by KPIT in 2005
- published by Mergere/DevZuz/Exist in 2006
I've created thein 2004 (and still alive and kicking today!) which is a group of French open sourcers, gathering to speak about technology and open source. The .
I'm participating to a monthly Podcast calledtalking about Java News (in French), along with Emmanuel Bernard (JBoss, Hibernate), Guillaume Laforge (VMWare, Groovy) and Antonio Goncalves (freelance, book author).
Open source participations
Current open source projects I am still participating to:
- : A set of wiki-related libraries, such as a parsers for various wiki syntaxes, and common wiki model.
- : A
Open source projects I have participated to at some point in time but where I'm no longer active:
- (Creator) : JUnit extension to perform in-container unit testing of J2EE applications
: Next generation project build tool. I have especially created the following Maven plugins (initial creation - lots of people have helped since then):
- + helped for a few others (checkstyle, pmd, war, ...)
- (Creator) : concept based on AspectJ to perform testing of architecture patterns. This concept is now reused in the new proposal for .
- : I have donated all source code from my book to the open source community under an Apache license.
- : I have donated all source code from the Maven book to the open source community under an Apache license.
- (Creator): Java API to start/stop and configure Java containers.
- : strategy for unit testing code in isolation
- : framework for building Java web applications
- : continuous integration tool
Latest Public Activities
My latest significant activities (outside coding!):
- May 2014: Co-Presented "Combining Open Source ethics with private Interests" with Ludovic Dubost at Solutions Linux 2014
- Apr 2014: Live recording of at Devoxx Fr 2014
- Mar 2014: Talk @ HumanCoders about (French).
- Feb 2014: Organized the at FOSDEM 2014 and presented .
- Oct 2013: Presented at
- Oct 2013: Co-Presented "Combining Open Source ethics with private Interests" with Ludovic Dubost + presented "Implementing quality on a Java project" at OWF 2013
- Sep 2013: Presented for a breakfast event organized by XWiki SAS at Eurosite George V in Paris
- Jun 2013: Live recording of at the YAJUG
- Apr 2013: Presented at .
- Mar 2013: Presented at Devoxx France 2013. Also participated to several other events including the Live recording of LesCastCodeurs and the OSSGTP BOF.
- Feb 2013: Co-Presented "Combining Open Source ethics with private Interests" at FOSDEM 2013 with Ludovic Dubost
- Nov 2012: Presented at Devoxx BE and recorded a live podcast of
- Oct 2012: Presented at the Mars JUG
- Oct 2012: Presented at the Alpes JUG
- Sep 2012: Presented for a breakfast event organized by XWiki SAS at Eurosite George V in Paris
- Jun 2012: Table Ronde @ Solutions Linux on the topic "Quels rôles pour les logiciels libres dans le cloud ?"
- Jun 2012: Presented (Demonstration of XWiki used as a web development platform to construct the Breizhcamp 2013 web site) and recorded live at .
- Apr 2012: Co-presented the OSSGTP team at Devoxx France 2012
- Mar 2012:Presented (slides and video) and with Denis Gervalle at the . A very nice poster done by .
- Jan 2012: Presented for a breakfast event organized by XWiki SAS at Eurosite George V in Paris.
- Oct 2011: Participated in round table on the at the Paris JUG
- Oct 2011: Presented at RivieraDEV 2011
- Sep 2011: Presented the XWiki Component Model at a workshop in France on Component Models.
- Sep 2011: Presented at Lausanne JUG
- Sep 2011: Presented at Lausanne JUG
- Jul 2011: Recorded live podcast of at .
- Apr 2011: Participated to the organized by the .
- Sep 2010: Participated to an open space on how to facilitate working from a distance.
- Jul 2010: Recorded live podcast of at .
- Mar 2010: Presented at Solutions Linux 2010
- Nov 2009: Presented the at OCTO Technology
- Sep 2009: Attendee and impromptu session organizer at on Continuous Integration
- Jul 2009: Speaker at on
- Jun 2009: Speaker at Jazoon 2009 on
- Dec 2008: Doing demos at the XWiki booth at Devoxx 2008
- Jul 2008: Speaker at on
- May 2008: Doing demos at the XWiki booth at JavaOne 2008
- Dec 2007: Doing demos at the XWiki booth at Javapolis 2007
- Nov 2007: Wrote article for TheServerSide on
- Oct 2007: Google Summer of Code Summit 2007 representing XWiki
- Oct 2007: Speaker at on
- Mar 2007: Presented XWiki as an OSSGTP project at Sun Tech Days 2007
- Dec 2006: Doing demos at the XWiki booth at Javapolis 2006
- Dec 2006: Joined as CTO.
- Dec 2006: Maven presentation on Maven2 and Quality at a conference organized by
- Jul 2006: Talk at (European Outsourcing Association) on doing Distributed Development using Agile methodologies.
- Jun 2006: Co-presented the (Open Source Get Together Paris) group at Sun Java Day
- Apr 2006: Finished co-writing a book on Maven2: which is available freely as a PDF.
- Jan 2006: Talk at on Agile Offshore Development
- Dec 2005: Talk on at Javapolis 2005
- Sep 2005: Article for O'Reilly on
- Sep 2005: for French website "Journal du Net" about my open source activities
- Sep 2005: Speaker at on Maven ("From Maven 1 to Maven 2").
- Jun 2005: Finished writing a White Paper on . Beware it's in French :-)
- May 2005: Creation of the web site to promote the Maven book and provides news and tips and tricks about Maven.
- Apr 2005: Finished writing the book for O'Reilly
- Dec 2004: Speaker at
- Jun 2004: Speaker at in Paris
- Jun 2004: for Brainsonic.fr on Pivolis + Open source participation (in French)
- May 2004: Speaker at in Las Vegas
- Apr 2004: (in French)
- Jan 2004:
- Oct 2003: Finished writing . about JUnit in Action.
- Jun 2003: Speaker at in Boston. I have presented 2 sessions: one on and one on
- May 2002: Speaker at the Open Source Day in Luxembourg on the subject of Cactus and the Jakarta open source community
- Apr 2002: Speaker at on
- Dec 2001: Lead a BOF at XP Day on
- Nov 2001: Reviewer of the Cactus chapters for the book "Java Tools for Extreme Programming : Mastering Open Source Tools including Ant, JUnit and Cactus"
- Oct 2001: Speaker at on
- Apr 2001: Interview on Cactus titled "Views from abroad : for
- Feb - Mar. 2000: Lead the "EJB : Advantages and Weaknesses" cycle of conferences (Java User Club, IBM and 01 Réseaux seminaries)
- Feb 2000: Co-authored the book (although my name is not on the book !), editor Eyrolles
- Mar 1999: Speaker at a technical seminary for IBM on the WebSphere Application Server
- Mar 1999: Co-author of Octo Technology's white paper on Application Servers (available free on Octo's web site ... but in French !)
- before that I can't remember :-) ...